Mexican rice, or “arroz rojo,” is a beloved staple in Mexican cuisine that adds a burst of flavor and color to any meal. This fragrant and vibrant dish is a perfect side to accompany a wide variety of Mexican favorites. In our household, we can’t resist pairing it with classic dishes like picadillo con papas, chile rellenos, and juicy al pastor tacos. Join us as we dive into the world of Mexican rice and discover the secrets to creating this delicious and versatile side dish. Get ready to savor every spoonful of this authentic recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock (hot)
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 cup blended fresh tomato
- In a sauté pan, add vegetable oil, rice, onion, and jalapeno and cook at medium high heat until rice starts to brown.
- Add the blended tomato, hot chicken stock and pepper; stir to combine.
- Taste the liquid and season with salt as needed. Bring liquid to boil, cover pan, and reduce the temperature to lowest setting. Cook until all liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off and let sit covered for 10 minutes before serving.