While finishing up a great lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in Austin, I was presented with the difficult decision on choosing which dessert to share with my good friend and fellow foodie; Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake was the special of the day. Honestly, I turned up my nose at the idea of a grapefruit cake! My friend was shocked that I had not ever tried an olive oil cake and insisted we order a slice but, just to be safe we ordered a back up dessert! Well, I took one bite and fell in love!
The cake has a great texture and isn’t overwhelmingly heavy or sweet. It is a wonderful treat to enjoy at mid-day with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Citrus Olive Oil Cake
For the cake:
- 2 grapefruits
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- juice from one of the grapefruits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a standard bundt pan.
- Zest the 2 grapefruits into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar to the bowl, and using your fingers, rub the zest and sugar together until they’re well-incorporated to infuse the sugar with the grapefruit essential oils.
- Halve one of the grapefruits and squeeze its juice into a measuring cup. Add buttermilk to juice in the measuring cup until there is a total of about 2/3 cup of liquid (you may not need the entire 1/2 cup of buttermilk, depending on the size of your grapefruit).Pour the grapefruit juice/buttermilk mixture into the bowl with the zest and sugar and whisk well. Whisk in the eggs and olive oil.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes, until it is golden brown on top until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. When done, remove the cake to a rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges and unmold the cake onto a cake platter.
- For the glaze, halve and squeeze the juice from the remaining grapefruit into a small sauce pan. Add the brown sugar and simmer just to dissolve the sugar. Using a toothpick, prick the cake all over, slowly brush the glaze over the entire cake.