A Chai Old Fashioned is a modern variation of the classic cocktail, the Old Fashioned, which infuses the comforting and aromatic flavors of chai tea into the traditional whiskey-based recipe. This creative twist brings together the warmth of chai spices with the rich depth of whiskey, resulting in a unique and flavorful beverage perfect for the winter months.
To craft a Chai Old Fashioned, you’ll need to begin by making a chai-infused simple syrup. Our syrup is made by steeping chai tea bags with pure maple syrup and hot water. This syrup becomes the key ingredient that imparts the chai essence to the cocktail. Enjoy!
Chai Old Fashioned
- 2 oz. Bourbon Our favorites are Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, or Booker's
- 1 slice fresh orange peel
- .5 oz. chai maple syrup
- 2 dashes angostura bitters to taste
- 4 dashes orange bitters
- 1 ice bube Large sphere or cube preferred
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a low ball glass, place your syrup, bitters, and bourbon. Take your fresh orange peel, torch lightly on the peel side, and squeeze over the drink expressing the oils into the cup before adding in. Place your ice cube and stir to chill. Garnish with the star anise and cinnamon stick.