Spanish style braised chicken
Pollo al Chilindrón is a delightful Spanish chicken dish that will add excitement to your dinner table. If you’re looking for a new and delicious way to prepare chicken, this recipe is a must-try. Tender chicken pieces are cooked in a flavorful and light sauce, bursting with the vibrant flavors of peppers, onions, and tomatoes. In this post, we’re thrilled to share with you our version of Pollo al Chilindrón, a dish that has become a favorite in our family.
Paired with saffron rice, pineapple for a touch of sweetness, and black beans, it creates a well-rounded and satisfying meal. The best part is that this dish can be prepared in advance and is even more flavorful the next day. Whether you’re planning a family dinner or entertaining guests, this dish will surely impress. So, gather your ingredients, embrace the spirit of Spanish cuisine, and savor the rich flavors of this traditional delight. Enjoy!
Pollo a la Chilidron
- 6 chicken thighs bone and skin on
- 8 oz ham steak cubed
- ½ cup white onion chopped
- 1 lb. tomato seeded and chopped (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup bell pepper approximately ½ of one bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt approximately, plus a pinch or two as needed
- 1 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper approximately, plus a pinch or two as needed
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Season chicken thighs with kosher salt, black pepper.
- Place chicken, skin side down and cook until golden brown; approximately 8 – 10 minutes; turn over and continue browning the other side about 5 minutes longer. Once chicken is browned, remove to a platter and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the cubed ham steak and cook until heated through and slightly browned; add to the platter with the chicken.
- Add 2 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Add chopped onions and green peppers and a pinch of salt. Continue to cook until onions are translucent; approximately 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, a pinch of salt, freshly ground pepper, minced garlic and continue to cook until the tomatoes are broken down. Taste the sauce for salt, pepper and correct seasonings if needed.
- Add chicken thighs, ham and any collected drippings to the sauce. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Taste the broth and correct seasonings (if needed).
- Cover the pan, reduce heat and continue to simmer the chicken for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest 10 – 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with saffron rice and pineapple.