Stuffed Cabbage Rolls: A Hearty Comfort Food Classic
When it comes to comfort food, few dishes evoke the same warm and cozy feelings as stuffed cabbage rolls. These delightful parcels of flavor are a staple in many cuisines around the world, each with its own unique twist. Whether you call them holubtsi, golabki, or sarmale, these cabbage rolls are sure to satisfy your cravings and transport you to a place of culinary bliss.
The process of making stuffed cabbage rolls begins with tender cabbage leaves that are blanched or steamed until pliable. This allows them to be easily rolled and filled with a delicious mixture of ingredients. The filling can vary depending on regional preferences, but a classic combination includes ground meat, rice, onions, and aromatic herbs and spices.
The filling is simply seasoned and combined with cooked rice, creating a hearty and flavorful base.
Each cabbage leaf is carefully filled with a portion of the flavorful mixture, creating neat little packages. The rolls are then nestled together and simmered in a slightly sweetened tomato-based sauce infused with herbs and spices.
Once assembled, the cabbage rolls are cooked until tender, allowing the flavors to meld together and the cabbage to become melt-in-your-mouth soft. The result is a dish that is both comforting and satisfying, with each bite revealing a harmonious blend of savory meat, fragrant rice, and the subtle sweetness of the cabbage.
Stuffed cabbage rolls are a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or as part of a hearty meal. They pair well with a side of mashed potatoes, crusty bread, or a fresh salad. Leftovers can be equally delightful, as the flavors intensify with time, making them perfect for reheating and enjoying on subsequent days.
Whether you’re seeking a taste of nostalgia or looking to explore the culinary traditions of different cultures, stuffed cabbage rolls are a must-try. These hearty and comforting delights offer a symphony of flavors and textures that will warm your heart and leave you craving more. So, gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and embark on a culinary journey with stuffed cabbage rolls as your guide. Enjoy!
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice cooked
- Tomato Paste
- Kitchen Bouquet
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, Pepper & Garlic Powder
- Salt, Pepper & Garlic Powder
- 1 medium white or yellow onion chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 large tomatoes blended
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- Cut the core from the cabbage head and separate leaves. Rinse leaves and set aside.
- Bring pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, dip leaves into boiling water until limp. Place on plate and repeat with remaining leaves. Remove core from back of each leaf and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine raw ground chuck and 1/2 cup fully cooked white rice. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, and add ketchup, onions, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until evenly combined.
- Spoon mixture into your hands and lightly shape into oval ball. Place into a cabbage leaf, roll, and set into baking dish. Repeat until remaining filling is used.
Preparing Sauce and Cooking Rolls
- Sautee olive oil, chopped onion, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, blended tomatoes, and can of tomato sauce in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place cabbage rolls in sauce seal side down. Cover with sauce and cook on low heat for approximately 45 minutes.