In Mexican cuisine, there is a wide array of comforting and flavorful soups that warm the soul and satisfy the appetite. One such delicious and beloved soup is Sopa de Conchas, a hearty pasta soup that combines the flavors of tomato and seashell-shaped pasta. This traditional Mexican dish is cherished for its simplicity, versatility, and comforting qualities. In this blog post, we will dive into the world of Sopa de Conchas, exploring its history, ingredients, and the steps to create a bowl of this comforting soup that will transport you to the heart of Mexico. This can also be made using Fideo pasta with only a few minor modifications.
Sopa de Conchas, also known as Mexican shell pasta soup, has its roots deeply embedded in Mexican culinary traditions. This soup has been a staple in Mexican households for generations, with each family adding their unique touch to the recipe. It is believed to have originated in central and southern regions of Mexico, where it has become a beloved comfort food enjoyed by people of all ages.
The beauty of Sopa de Conchas lies in its simplicity. The main components of this soup include:
- Conchas: Conchas are shell-shaped pasta commonly used in Mexican cuisine. They are similar to small macaroni or shell-shaped pasta and add a delightful texture to the soup.
- Tomato Base: The soup is typically made with a tomato-based broth, which infuses the dish with a rich and savory flavor. This can be achieved using canned tomato sauce, although we prefer the use of fresh tomatoes.
- Vegetables and Seasonings: Our version of this dish includes the use of onion and jalapenos which add depth and nutrients to the soup. Fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley are also added to enhance the flavors. The use of chicken stock seasoned with freshly ground black pepper work together to create a well-balanced and aromatic broth.
Sopa de Conchas is a classic Mexican soup that brings comfort and warmth to the table. With its delightful combination of seashell pasta, savory tomato broth, and vibrant vegetables, it’s a dish that embodies the heart of Mexican cuisine. Whether enjoyed on a chilly day or as a comforting meal any time of the year, Sopa de Conchas is a testament to the beauty of simple ingredients coming together to create a satisfying and flavorful soup. So, gather your ingredients, embrace the flavors of Mexico, and savor each spoonful of this beloved soup. Enjoy!
Sopa de Conchas
- 1 cup shell Pasta
- 2 cups chicken stock hot
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 cup blended fresh tomato
- In a sauté pan, add vegetable oil, shells, onion, and jalapeno and cook at medium high heat until pasta starts to brown.
- Add the blended tomato, hot chicken stock and pepper; stir to combine.
- Taste the liquid and season with salt as needed. Bring liquid to boil, cover pan, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes until pasta is tender.