There’s something undeniably satisfying about biting into a perfectly crispy and creamy potato. And when it comes to achieving that delightful texture, few recipes can compete with the magic of Smashed Fingerling Potatoes. This simple yet incredibly flavorful side dish is a wonderful addition to any meal, whether it’s a casual weeknight dinner or a special gathering with loved ones.
These potatoes are a delightful twist on traditional roasted potatoes. The small, elongated fingerling potatoes, with their thin skins and buttery flavor, are the star of this recipe. Their unique shape lends itself perfectly to being smashed, creating a surface area that crisps up beautifully in the oven while retaining a luscious, creamy interior. We love to serve this as a side to our Cast Iron Spatchcock Chicken, creating a truly mouthwatering meal. The combination of the juicy, flavorful chicken with the crispy and creamy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes is a match made in culinary heaven. Enjoy!
Smashed Fingerling Potatoes
- 2 lbs. fingerling potatoes (1.5-2 inches in diameter) washed & scrubbed
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary removed from stem and chopped fine
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Adjust your oven racks so that there is one near the top and one near the bottom.
- Using a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil, place your fingerling potatoes along with 3/4 cup of water and wrap with aluminum foil creating a tight seal.
- Cook on the bottom rack until easily pierced by knife, approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, discard foil, and let cool for 15 minutes. If any water remains, discard and blot your potatoes dry.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of oil over your potatoes and roll to coat. Using another similarly sized baking sheet or flat bottom dish, place on top of potatoes and firmly push down to flatten until approximately 1/3-1/2 inch thick.
- Season with garlic salt and pepper. Drizzle the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Roast potatoes on the top oven rack for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip, sprinkle with chopped rosemary and move potatoes to bottom rack to continue roasting for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, drizzle with melted butter, and place back in oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.