- 6 cups fresh peach slices (about 10 peeled peaches, sliced) or frozen peaches 1134g
- 3/4 cup sugar 149g
- 1/3 cup cornstarch 40g
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 recipe enriched pie dough
- 2 Tbsp. milk 28g
- 2 Tbsp. sparkling white sugar 25g
- Peel the peaches; the best way to do this is to plunge them into boiling water for 30 seconds, then place in a bowl of cold water. Their peels will slip off easily. Pit the peaches, and slice them about 3/8" thick. If using frozen peaches, skip this step.
- Whisk together the sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Combine the peaches with the sugar mixture, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice, mixing thoroughly. Set the filling aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. If it’s been chilling longer than 30 minutes (e./g., overnight), allow it to warm up and soften for about 20 to 30 minutes. Flour a large work surface. Roll the dough into a 17″ circle.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Fold the rolled-out dough in half, then in half again; this will make it easier to move. Pick the folded dough up, place it in a 9″ x 1 1/2″ pie pan. and unfold it, centering it in the pan. Spoon the filling into the crust.
- Gently drape the dough up and over the filling. Don’t stretch it; it shouldn’t cover the filling entirely. A 3″ to 4″ bare patch will remain in the center; that’s OK.
- Brush the crust with milk or cream and sprinkle with granulated or coarse white sugar; this will add a touch of sweetness and delightful crunch.
- Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet to catch any spills. Place it in the oven on a lower rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 45 to 60 minutes (tenting the crust for the last 15 to 20 minutes, as needed), until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven, and place it on a rack to cool overnight or at a minimum 8 hours. If you don't let it rest long enough, the filling will be too soft.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!