Milanesa de Pollo: A Mexican Twist on a Classic Dish
When it comes to satisfying your cravings for a crispy and flavorful meal, Milanesa de Pollo is a Mexican delight that never disappoints. This beloved dish takes inspiration from its Italian cousin, Chicken Milanese, but adds a touch of Mexican flair to create a truly unique and delicious experience. With its golden-brown crust and tender chicken inside, Milanesa de Pollo is a favorite among both young and old.
The journey of Milanesa de Pollo begins with a boneless chicken breast, which is pounded until thin. This not only ensures even cooking but also tenderizes the meat, creating a succulent and moist result. The thin chicken breast is then seasoned with a touch of salt and pepper, setting the stage for the flavors to come.
Next comes the breading process, which is what gives this dish its signature crunch. The chicken breast is dipped in beaten eggs, ensuring that the breading adheres perfectly to the meat. Then, it is coated with a mixture of breadcrumbs seasoned with the distinctive flavor of chili piquin and finely crumbled queso fresco. This combination adds an extraordinary layer of flavor and richness to the dish.
Once coated, the chicken is lightly fried until golden and crispy. The frying process not only creates a crispy crust but also seals in the juices, keeping the chicken moist and flavorful. The result is a perfectly cooked piece of chicken with a crispy exterior and tender interior that will have you coming back for more.
Milanesa de Pollo is incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed in various ways. It can be served as a main course alongside Mexican rice, refried beans, and a fresh salad for a complete and satisfying meal. It can also be sliced and used as a filling for tortas, traditional Mexican sandwiches, along with avocado, lettuce, and tomato.
No matter how you choose to enjoy it, Milanesa de Pollo is a beloved dish that brings together the best of Mexican and Italian culinary traditions. Its crispy texture, flavorful seasoning, and tender chicken make it a go-to option for those seeking a satisfying and delicious meal.
So, if you’re looking to add some Mexican flair to your dinner table or simply want to indulge in a flavorful and comforting dish, give Milanesa de Pollo a try. With its irresistible combination of crispy coating and juicy chicken, it’s a dish that is sure to please your taste buds and transport you to the vibrant streets of Mexico. Enjoy!
Milanesa de Pollo
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded thin
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled queso fresco cotija
- 1 Tbsp. dried ground chile piquín or a mix or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Using a meat pallet or a skillet, flatten the chicken breasts in between two layers of parchment or plastic wrap until thin.
- On a plate, beat 2 eggs together with the milk. On another plate, combine the breadcrumbs with the cheese, ground chile and salt.
- Dip both sides of each flattened chicken breast in the egg mixture, then gently coat both sides with the breadcrumb mixture so that the entire piece is covered. Set the coated breasts aside on a chopping board or platter.
- Heat enough oil, in a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat, for it to be ¼ inch deep. After about 3 to 4 minutes, when the oil is hot but not smoking, place as many chicken breasts as will fit in a single layer without crowding the pan. If the edges of the chicken breasts aren’t bubbling in the oil, raise the heat closer to medium-high.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on one side until golden brown. Gently flip and repeat on the other side. When the second side has crisped, remove it from the pan and set it on a plate covered with a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining milanesas.