Hot water pastry crust, a simple yet versatile dough, is a baker’s dream. Unlike traditional pie crusts, this dough is incredibly easy to work with. It comes together effortlessly, yielding a tender and flaky crust that is perfect for both sweet and savory creations. When I am short on time, this is my go to pastry crust recipe. Whether crafting pies or empanadas, the ease of hot water pastry crust guarantees delicious results every time. Enjoy!
Hot Water Pastry Crust
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- In a medium size mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt.
- Add shortening and mix by hand until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in boiling water until rough dough is formed.
- Tip dough out onto lightly floured surface and kneed until dough is smooth; 3 – 4 minutes. Take care not to overwork the dough.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit on counter at room temperature for 15 minutes.