Gluten Free Sticky Toffee Pudding
- 8 ounces pitted dates (Medjool preferred) cut crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices (1⅓ cups)
- ¾ cup warm water 110 degrees
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1¼ cups gluten free 1-1 baking flour 6 ¼ ounces
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar (light or dark) 5¼ ounces
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 1 ½ Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar 7 ounces
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. dark rum preferably vanilla
- ¼ tsp. lemon juice
FOR THE PUDDING CAKES:
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour eight 6-ounce ramekins. Fold dish towel in half and place in bottom of large roasting pan. Place prepared ramekins on top of towel; set aside pan. Bring kettle of water to boil.
- Combine half of dates, warm water, and baking soda in 2-cup liquid measuring cup (dates should be submerged beneath water); soak dates for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl.
- Process sugar and remaining dates in food processor until no large chunks remain and mixture has texture of damp, coarse sand, about 45 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Drain soaked dates, adding the soaking liquid to processor. Add eggs, melted butter, and vanilla and process until smooth, about 15 seconds. Transfer sugar mixture to bowl with flour mixture and sprinkle soaked dates on top. Using rubber spatula, gently fold sugar mixture into flour mixture until just combined and date pieces are evenly dispersed.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins (ramekins should be two-thirds full). Quickly pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come ¼ inch up sides of ramekins. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil, crimping edges to seal. Bake until cakes are puffed and surfaces are spongy, firm, and moist to touch, about 40 minutes. Immediately transfer ramekins from water bath to wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE:
- While cakes cool, melt butter with water in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in sugar and salt until smooth. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved and slightly darkened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in ⅓ cup cream until smooth, about 30 seconds. Slowly pour in rum and remaining 2/3 cup cream, whisking constantly until smooth. Reduce heat to low; simmer until frothy, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Using toothpick, poke 25 holes in top of each cake and spoon 1-2 tablespoons toffee sauce over each cake. Let cakes sit until sauce is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Invert each ramekin onto plate or shallow bowl; lift off ramekin. Divide remaining toffee sauce evenly among cakes and serve immediately.
- *If making ahead of time, leave cakes in ramekins after adding the toffee sauce until ready to use. Re-heat for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. Invert each ramekin onto plate or shallow bowl and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!